Monday, May 19, 2008

Super-Con Wrap Up!

Well, we made it. San Jose was quite a bit warmer than we're used to, so we sweated a lot. The Con was not as large as Emerald City and we didn't sell as much, but we had a pretty good time overall.

We did sit next to Mark Texeira, who was tremendously cool and a ton of fun to talk to. Michael Golden was a bit further down and though I didn't get a chance to talk to him, Leigh had a long conversation with him at one point and reported that he was really nice. On our left was the team from Scrap Pictures, who produce Blazin' Brandy. They were all great to talk to as well.

Leigh did a lot of sketches (a few of which he will post, I'm sure) and I talked to people and more or less hung out.

Which brings me to my one observation for Super-Con. Writers don't have as much to do. I suppose if you're established and popular, you would sit behind a stack of books and autograph all day. Artists can obviously do sketches, but writers, well, write, so unless you've got a laptop or are comfortable writing on a notepad, there isn't anything to do.

So I decided to start offering to write sentences for free. When people approached the booth and chatted with us, I would casually mention that I was the writer and would write a sentence for them for free.

I mostly got blank looks, but a few people laughed. No one actually took me up on the offer, which was too bad, as I had a couple of doozies ready to go.

Maybe I'll get a chance to write some in Spokane in June . . .

Anyhow, things went well and we're looking forward to the next con.

Cheers,
-Jason

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should come to a con in VA! we're nice people!

Unknown said...

*chuckle*

But did you look and see just how WARM it was back home while you were in San Jose guys?

The operative term here was "very"

Jason Janicki said...

Sure, I'd love to do a con in VA.

Yeah, we missed the first 'nice' weekend in WA. C'est la vie. I don't actually mind the heat so much, but Leigh hates it.

Anonymous said...

Aha! So that's the real reason for bringing the dictionary - sentence requests! I would almost certainly have taken you up on that, but I don't go to conventions. Or to the USA. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Jason Janicki said...

Well, maybe we'll get to England one day!

Unknown said...

so, since these are comments from when you've been at cons...are you two planning on attending Norwescon next year?

speaks the woman working on the framework for Haith's legs. :)

Jason Janicki said...

Norwescon is a distinct possibility. We've been talking about which cons to go to and since it's in our backyard, its pretty high on the list.

Hope the legs are coming along well. We're both excited to see what you come up with :)