Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Emerald City Comic-Con: Part 2

Observation #2
There were many people at ECCC. There were a good number of people in costume. There were a few people, no more than a handful, who we weren’t sure if they were in costume or not. One gentleman was wearing a green and yellow striped shirt, black pants, purple shoes and yellow socks. Leigh and I watched him pass, looked at each other, and then looked back at him.

Me: Was that a costume?

Leigh: Not sure.

Me: It looked like a costume.

pause

Leigh: Maybe he’s color-blind?

There were also a lot of women in goth-loli outfits and various vinyl and rubber ensembles. All I can say to them is ‘God bless you.’

Observation #3
Leigh has the anti-comic-selling gene. On Saturday, we set-up and once the show opened, promptly sold a comic. We then sat for an hour, Leigh went to a panel, and I sold three more. This continued all day. Leigh is there, no sales. Leigh goes away, sales. At one point, Leigh walked away for ten-minutes and I sold four comics (I am not kidding).

Eventually, I started kicking Leigh out of the booth so we could sell more.

On Sunday, the effect seemed to have worn off, but for whatever reason, I was still the one that handled all the transactions. Leigh would be sitting there, peacefully drawing or eating or possibly dozing, and I’d shove a book in his face and say ‘Sign this!’ He would and after chatting with the customer, would then go back to whatever he was doing as I gave away bookmarks.

Tomorrow: Part 3 – The Finale!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, looks like you guys need your own chick in a rubber ensemble. and if you have real chicks on your table (the animal, not the girls) you can get all sorts of girls to oohh and ahhh. Better yet have a baby with you and be somewhat inept with it.

Wait, am I trying to help you pick up girls or sell comic books? I lost track. :P

Jason Janicki said...

I only know one couple with a baby and while they let me hold him, they probably wouldn't let me use him as bait. Maybe I should get a puppy :)

Anonymous said...

yep, puppies work fairly well, kittens too...
"gunner"