Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Emerald City Comic-Con: Part 3

Observation #4
A certain number of insane people come to comic-cons. I’m not just talking about ‘run-of-the-mill’ nutty, where you have a few too many pieces of Sailor Moon paraphernalia, play too much WoW, or have encyclopedic knowledge of the Discworld universe (I am guilty of two of these three. Guess which?).

I’m talking about the ‘wow, this person is allowed to drive a car’ kind of insane.

I had a young man come up and ask me if I liked Uwe Boll movies. Here is the actual start of the conversation, as well as I can recall it:

Him: Do you like Uwe Boll movies?

Me: Well, maybe ‘like’ is too strong a word. ‘Amused by’ is more like it. (friendly chuckle).

Him: (intense stare) Blood Rayne was the best movie ever made!

Me: Uhhh, I haven’t seen it (a lie, sadly).

Him: It is! They’re making a sequel!

Me: Really?

This continued for around 10 minutes, at which point Leigh came back and I excused myself to go to the bathroom. He was still there when I got back and eventually wandered away a few minutes later. Leigh and I compared notes and as far we can tell, he had the exact same conversation with Leigh as he did with me.

Well, that about wraps up my observations on Emerald Con. We’re looking forward to Super-Con in San Jose this weekend and hope to see more fans there (and to make new ones).

In case you can’t find us, we’ll be the two nerds sitting at a table.

Cheers,
-Jason

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to guess Sailor Moon paraphernalia and playing too much WoW.

Jason Janicki said...

Unfortunately, no. The correct answers are Play Too Much WoW and an encyclopedic knowledge of the Discworld universe (Pratchett is a god, btb :))