Monday, May 12, 2008

Emerald City Comic-Con: Part 1

Well, we did it. Our first con is in the bag. It went really, really well. No one, as far as we know, will be naming their first born after us, but we had a tremendous positive reaction.

Here is our booth:






In the second picture the hand creeping into the frame belongs to our friend Stan (real name: Laura) who is adjusting our banner. No, we are not watching a tennis game.

Other than getting lost on the way to the Convention Center, there were no hitches or mis-steps, save the 'Ewok-Strangling' incident that is best never mentioned again.

We met and talked with a lot of neat people. We were right next to Jennie Breeden from The Devil's Panties. We chatted for a few minutes and she was very cool. Paul Chadwick was right next to us and was a very nice, very amiable man, as well as an amazing artist. Next to him was Ken Steacy, who was also also very nice and amazingly talented. We were also right next to the brother and sister team from Inanimate Sloth Bear Press, who were very cool. We also talked to Phil Foglio and Aaron Williamson, who were both very friendly and happy to chat with us. I also got to meet a personal hero of mine, Bill Willingham and got him to sign my copy of Elementals #1. Leigh talked to a great number of people as well, but I'll let him detail those encounters.

By-the-by: A person bought a book from us and then as Leigh was not at the booth, left it to be signed by him. This person NEVER returned to pick it up. If you're that person, email us at mail@wayfarersmoon.com and let me know what color shirt you were wearing as well as a point or two from our conversation and we'll send your book to you.

As I spent the majority of my time at the booth, talking to patrons and selling books, I had ample time to watch the ebb and flow of people around us. This led to a certain number of 'observations' about cons and life that I thought I would share.

Observation #1:
Some men should not wear kilts. There were plenty of kilts in evidence. I would go as far to say that Seattle had more kilts being worn than anywhere else save Scotland. However, some men just couldn't pull it off. Skinny, fish-white legs just don't work. And please, if you're going to wear a kilt in public, iron it first. One guy's kilt was so wrinkled it looked like an upside-down khaki tulip.

Tomorrow: Observations 2-4

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the reason there are so many kilts is cuz of The Devil's Panties. Just remember that you are lucky there wasnt a leaf blower there. If you read the comic you would not be surprised at the numbers. For those of you who don't read it the main charecter at times goes to events with a leaf blower and aims it up the kilts of the men there.

Unknown said...

Well, I was glad to meet you and chat for a bit while I was there as Rogue. As finances permit, I'll be picking up the hard copies, since I was talking to you about wanting to do costuming.

Jason Janicki said...

Well, that would explain the kilts, then :)

Oh yeah, FANTASTIC Rogue costume, btb. Glad to hear it :)

Leigh Kellogg said...

Jason and I actually had a really good conversation with Jennie on Sunday morning before the crowds came in. Because we hadn’t had the time to do any drinking on Saturday night I was well rested Sunday morning, and I had to apologize to Jennie for assaulting her with unwarranted cheerfulness while she was setting up. I was aware of the kilt angle to Jennie’s comics, but I hadn’t made the connection, since I’m actually pretty used to seeing kilts at sci-fi, fantasy cons and ren fairs, so I hadn’t thought much of it. I’ve actually worn one myself to several fairs. At the Navato fair in northern CA all the guys used to pleat their kilts on the stage section of scott’s guild – since it was the largest flat spot available. The women used to line up to watch, usually from the lowest angle possible. Yes – most went regimental. Yes – corn starch is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

*blush* Thank you, I'll let Erik (Gambit) know you appreciated the outfit, since he made these. I'm being coaxed into making some superhero/villain outfits of my own, just need to pick the characters. (yes, suggestions welcome)

None of my amber actually is the right size and shape, so oh darn, guess I'll have to go shopping! If the tax bonus ever shows up, I'll pick up the first book so I can work on the design sketches.


Back to the kilts, another reason you'll see a lot of kilts in Seattle is because of the proximity of Utilikilts right there in Pike Place Market.

Jason Janicki said...

His Gambit outfit was also very cool!

We would be delighted to see you do a WM outfit!

Unknown said...

*lol*

Check your email guys....I sent you a BUNCH of questions about Haith.

I'd like to look at having a completed Haith outfit by Norwescon 2009 (Easter Weekend).