Friday, May 23, 2008

Recess

I have figured out what is wrong with the world today. As adults, we never get to have recess.

Oh, sure, we surf the net from time to time or hang around the water cooler/coffee machine/foosball table/stripper pole to talk about the latest news/tv show/inane blog/strippers, but these are at best furtive measures, as we all know we should really be working.

Hence, recess, which is defined as a ‘temporary withdrawal or cessation from the usual work or activity.’ Or, to put it more succinctly, a time to play 4-Square and Tetherball.

Note: I was the Tetherball king of my school. I was, frankly, Olympic material.

Think about it, what’s the real difference between school and work? You’re there against your will, your supervisor forgets your name, you don’t understand what’s going on, and the people around you frequently pick their noses and eat paste.

If you needed recess in school, you need it twice as much during work.

Therefore, I think the government should mandate two, 20-minute recesses a day, where you have to go outside (or at least leave the cubicle) and play for a while. You can play 4-Square, Tetherball, Touch-Football, Kickball, Craps, or even a rousing game of Tag.

Note: Some schools have banned Tag as being exclusionary and overly aggressive. I would suggest that life is exclusionary and overly aggressive.

The only rule would be that you have to play. You can’t work, you can’t talk about work, nor can you talk on your cell-phone, check your mail, or hide a body. You just have to play.

Then, when the bell rings, you can go back to your cubicle, perhaps slightly winded, and relish the fact that you just kicked ass at Tetherball.

Cheers,
-Jason

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

... We already do that at our work. Frisbee and hacky sack, specifically. I take long walks in the woods so I can talk to myself in peace and quiet while I plot... Er... I mean... that is...

Go work for a video game company.

Anonymous said...

Recess and NAPS.

I had a standing offer to all of my employers that if they allowed me a one hour nap after lunch that I would work 2 hours to pay for it.

They never took me up on it. If they checked my production after lunch they probably would find that they would have gotten a bargain.

I think I usually got my nap one way or the other but it takes a couple of hours to get a really good nap with your eyes open and sitting up.

m.--

Anonymous said...

Are you serious about banning tag? Next they're going to ban walking, because it discriminates against mobility impaired persons who must use wheelchairs.

Anyhow, here's a little poem, before I go take a nap:

Now I lay me down to sleep
Far from my boss, the creep
If I die before I wake
Double indemnity, my wife to take

(And our anonymous friend really needs to work on his hiding spots...)

Anonymous said...

Really Jason, why don't you try your hand at stand up comedy??? You have plenty of material, I think you would be a huge success. I have been reading your blogs since I found them and look forward to them as a regular part of my day for the humor we all need. Wayfarers Moon is great, but you have more room to grow an audience with your comedy.

Anonymous said...

I am with Rhonda, You really need a life, oh king of the Tether Ball court.
The turn about on Recess, is the kids think we adults have it made.
AH! are they ever wrong.

Jason Janicki said...

I do happen to work for a video game company :) Nothing beats the occasional 4 o'clock nerf war ...

Well, they're loss :) The best boss I ever had once told me 'I don't care when you come in, I don't care when you leave, I just care that all your stuff gets done.' I worked around 30-hours a week and got more done than people putting in 40+.

I'm not kidding about Tag. There has been a growing trend to ban 'harmful' games among kids. My opinion has always been that if you get used to competition and losing as a kid, you're ready for it later in life.

Thanks! I've never considered doing stand-up, though maybe someday I'll compile my blogs into a book (any agents out there?).

Anonymous said...

I'm no agent, but I'd definately buy that book. 'Course, my life insurance would double afterward. You know, die laughing and all that.

Jason Janicki said...

Ummm, the one good part about dying laughing is that you would no longer need to buy life insurance. So there is an upside :)