Thursday, July 10, 2008

Where the Bad Guys Go to Go: Part 2

Duke Nukem, I think, was the first game wherein I saw a bathroom in-game. Strippers too, actually.

NOTE: Strippers in a video game that is. I had seen them before. Well, once. From a distance. I was outside and they were inside. So, no (and yes), actually.

The other thing you almost never see in a video game is recreational facilities. Strippers sort of count, but I was actually referring to things like pool tables, swimming pools, weight rooms, that sort of thing. Your average Stormtrooper needs somewhere to blow off steam after a long day at the range not hitting the targets.

NOTE: I do not actually know if there are bathrooms listed on the technical blueprints for the Death Star. I would guess ‘yes.’ Someone let me know if I’m right or wrong.

I once drove a manager up the wall by constantly asking for a basketball court whenever he requested lists of new art assets. He finally asked why I kept asking for said basketball court and I replied ‘because the guys need something to do when they’re not fighting.’ Needless to say, the court was never made.

So what’s my point? Heck if I know. It’s probably something about how including real-life fixtures in video games help increase immersion and depth. Do you need bathrooms in games? No, but I think they can add value to a product.

Oh and can somebody tell me where the bathrooms are in Orgrimmar? My 70th Hunter hasn’t gone, well, ever.

Cheers,
-Jason

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is evidence of a crude sewer works below the hunters trainer in Org, waterfall aeration and settling pond, the only proper facilities you can access, although I am sure there are others that are probable outhouse set pieces, are in Burning Steppes and Netherstorm.

There is another outhouse in HFP in the alliance village with an endless skit about someone keeping the facilities permanently occupied but there is no access.

That makes for a long time between pit stops.

Animal/demon facilities in Nagrand and HFP.

Blizzard has several "poo" references in the game but oddly enough you can't submit fan cartoons about this without summary rejection.

It seems that it is okay for you to fetch "paper" for dwarves stuck in outhouses, to search outhouses for lich phylacteries, and to sift through animal and demon poo for "Nagrand Cherries" and keys but one musn't mention it.

The first rule about WoW poo club is ...

It's on their list of "we don't discuss" items like the slinkiness of female plate armor.

Jason Janicki said...

Yeah - There's that horde quest in the Hellfire Penninsula where you have to sift through poo as well.

It's kinda weird that they would include this sort of thing in the game and then not just 'run with it' so to speak.

Anonymous said...

now you have me looking for it. found some poo as set dressing in main tanaris ogre compound today.

speak of the poo and it shall appear i guess.

no storyline or quest tie in, just a lump of poo as random old world set dressing.

same sprite or model as used for the HFP felhunter vs piggy quest.

it actually verged on being disturbing at the time.

Jason Janicki said...

So is the poo a piece of little-used old world art or something they made for the Outlands and then distributed? I would presume the former.

Psykotika said...

Damned if I can remember which game it was, what platform it was on, or even what the main plot of it was, but this entry brings to mind one hellish game wherein I can distinctly recall being stuck in the bathroom for.... well too long.
See there was a ventilation shaft... you took it to the bathroom, dropped down in a stall... listening in on the dude taking a dump beside you before walking over, interrupting his communion with the porcelian pot, and killing him right thar on the toilet... dint even get to finish. Then, upon leaving the bathroom in search of more enemies to kill, I eventually found myself back in the bathroom, hiding from something with giant lazor cannons or duel shoulder-mounted bazookas or something delightful like that. Furthermore you could heal your character some by drinking some water from the sinks in the bathroom. Though I believe you could only use one stall to relieve yourself..... endlessly...
Yeah.
So.
You had a hand in that, didn't you?

Jason Janicki said...

Sadly, no.

I can see where you might have gotten that impression, though . . . ;)