Monday, July 7, 2008

My First Senior Moment

A ‘senior moment’ is what my mom calls it when she momentarily forgets something, such as my name, who I am, and why I’m in her house. We always have a good laugh about it afterwards, though I have taken to hiding her shotgun ammo whenever I happen to visit.

So, last Sunday, I was a the local supermarket, purchasing my weekly allotment of Captain Crunch, Coke, and other products beginning with ‘C.’ Yes, I have the eating habits of an 9-year-old, though I dare say my collection of plastic cereal toys is unrivaled (for example, I have all the Indiana Jones light-up spoons).

NOTE: I don’t actually use the Indiana Jones light up spoons to eat my cereal. I’m keeping them in mint condition for when they become collector’s items (seriously).

I finished shopping and went to stand in the line to the self-service check out, where I surreptitiously read the covers of fashion magazines. A scanner opened up and I quickly and efficiently scanned in my items and then attempted to pay. I swiped my debit card and punched in the number, only to have ‘Incorrect PIN’ shine back at me.

I entered it again, with the same result. I then realized, I could not, for the life of me, remember my PIN number.

Now, in general, I have an excellent memory. I can recall events with amazing clarity, down to what people were wearing and the conversations that were held. Though, like Cassandra, nobody ever believes me when I point out what actually happened or was said. Frankly, just because they don’t remember the clown, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

So, there I am, standing there at the self-service check-out, staring at the PIN pad. I am painfully aware that there is a large line of people waiting for me to leave and probably wondering why I’m staring at the pad with a stupid expression. Just for the hell of it, I try again, with the same result.

I cannot remember my stupid PIN. I can remember the one I had previously. I can remember the one I had before that. I can even remember my brother’s, as I had to make a deposit for him once over fifteen-years ago. Yet I cannot remember the number I’ve used three to six times a week for the past three years.

Thinking quickly (for once), I then use my credit card, as it doesn’t require a PIN, gather my groceries and receipt and exit the store.

Of course, I can now recall my PIN and have had a good laugh over the incident with the blokes down at the pub.

I’m lying. I haven’t used my debit card since then and I am still not sure what my PIN is. I think I know, but am not sure. I suppose I could call my bank and ask, but I would feel foolish doing so (as opposed to telling all of you about it).

Anyway, I suppose I’ll have to use it again at some point. I’m sure I’ll just punch the numbers again without thinking about it. I’m pretty sure. I hope. I think one of the numbers was even . . .

Cheers,
-Jason

5 comments:

Raef Wolfe said...

"PIN number"

Don't enter your PIN number into the ATM Machine incorrectly or you may get the HIV virus.

This is brought to you by "People who realize that saying PIN number is repetitive, as you are actually saying personal identification number number".



I did the same thing with my star wars light up spoons.

Anonymous said...

I usually write down the PINs to my cards. In code. Which I then misinterpret and fail to decode. I still have about $2 trapped on a card that I never use.

Jason Janicki said...

Y'know, it hadn't dawned on me that 'PIN' actually has 'number' in it.

Now I feel extra foolish.

Good idea. Except for the 'fail to decode' part :)

Anonymous said...

Well, happend to me the other day:

Went to log on into my onlinebanking account, and *beep* wrong pin.

That got me thinking.
And I came up with one out of 15digits I was not sure about. All the thinking narrowed it down to the numbers 1-5, though, we all know a three-timer will lock your account. But I was so sure, went ahead... and locked my account.

Stupid.
Well then, I have another onlinebanking account, which has the same root-element in the pin, went ahead and tried the three remaining possibilities....
and - yeah, right *beep* locked the account.
Darn was I ...angry... at myself.

I usually can enter those pins not even completely awake, with fingers dancing over the keyboard, but not that evening.

Slept over it,
next morning, crisp as fresh snow, the responsible digit was of course back in my mind, and it was way of what I had narrowed it down to the other evening.

We here in Germany have a saying, which translates to
'When such things happen to green(fresh) wood,....' translating well to your 'senior moment'

Cheers,
Shaya

Jason Janicki said...

Wow, 15 digits? Now I feel silly for not being able to remember 4.

I also had a device for remembering my PIN, but didn't remember it until I had already remembered the PIN itself. I knew I had the device, but coulnd't recall for which PIN it went with.

Another 'wow' for being in Germany. Cool!