Monday, June 29, 2009

3D Zombies

Some students at Georgia Tech and the Savannah College of Art and Design have made something really special.

Watch it here:
http://technology.todaysbigthing.com/2009/06/17

This is really something. It could have fascinating applications in medicine, science, and all sorts of fields. Or, granted, it could also be used to kill tons and tons of zombies.

One day, my kids'll be whining about 3D games being boring and I'll say something to the effect of 'In my day, we had Atari 2600s! We had tanks made out of 17 pixels and we were happy to have 'em!'

Technology is a wonderful thing :)

Cheers,
-Jason

3 comments:

TX_Val said...

Now that's some pretty sweet poo right there.

Also great advertising revenue 'eh?

I mean, I'm sure you don't have to use skittles, little colored gum balls would probably work. But what a way to entice marketing revenue. One game you could use M&M's... even have to make sure you buy special "gaming packs" of M&M's that have different colors.

Now that's the business side of me kicking in. The gamer sides says.. WOO sweet, and how fast can we get these in VR glasses or Helmets.

I've always wanted a VR helmet for the MMO's (SWG, WoW, EQ2, DAoC, blah blah blah).
They just don't have high enough Resolution.

*sigh*

Awesome step forward though. I wish they would have thrown down another map. I'd like to see if it has to be designed by them and input into the software, or if you could just make your own levels. Even if you had to get maps developed by them, they could continually release more maps and the such.

Jason Janicki said...

Yeah, I was also curious how the maps work and how you would go about creating a new one. I would be willing to bet it's labor-intesive right now.

Still pretty cool, though :)

Gillsing said...

Looked a bit uncomfortable to run around the map in that hunched pose, and I still can't see how this beats a computer with a mouse. Though I suppose it's really meant to compete with other portable gaming devices?