Thursday, August 21, 2008

Why?

The other day, I was minding my own business, beating a stuffed wombat with an inflatable tuba, when a coworker asked me why I end my blogs with ‘Cheers.’

NOTE: While beating a stuffed wombat with an inflatable tuba at work may seem odd, I will point out that it’s the only thing keeping the wombats in check.

It seemed a valid question, so I ceased my fruitless pummeling and endeavored to answer. In actuality, ‘cheers’ was not my first choice as a salutation. I originally planned on going with ‘Codpiece!’ but that seemed a little much. My second choice was ‘Surreptitiously,’ which was interesting, but hard to spell. My third choice was an unpronounceable symbol used to summon an Elder god of immense, cheese-related power. Unfortunately, Ariel doesn’t have that as part of its standard font package. I thought for sure Wingdings would have it, but again, no luck.

So, why ‘cheers?’ Frankly, it seemed like a nice way to kind of say ‘have a nice day’ or ‘wheee!’ or even ‘dude!’ I actually had a client at an old job who used it regularly and I liked it, so I adopted it for use in the blog. It just seemed like a good, all-purpose, non-denominational way to say ‘happiness.’

That being said, I will use it until I can find a font that has that unpronounceable symbol. Hopefully, the world won’t immediately end in a giant fondue fireball when I do use it.

Which would be damn cool.

Cheers,
-Jason

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, this fondue fireball...would it be chocolate? 'Cuz that would be pretty cool...

Anonymous said...

I know I'm just an irritable person, but it really peeves me when people ask stuff like that. "Durh... uh, WHY to do you sign off that way??? I don't geetttttt itttt...blarr."

WTF,m?

It's just not even that odd. It's not something that needs to be questioned.

I've started saying "It amuses me to do so," to a lot of questions. Stole it from Sandman, though.

moll.

Sarah M said...

Living in the UK, where that is a normal way to end any conversation. I never thought to wonder why you use it, I just thought you might have picked it up from a Brit. And now that you admit to wombat training like the Wombat on the Britannia was dealt in the officers' wardroom although "Wombat tennis" is a bit different involving a stuffed wombat and a ceiling fan.

Cheers,
Sarah

Jason Janicki said...

Oh, definately chocolate. With bananas and strawberrys . . .

Ah, yes, Sandman! It's been awhile, but that was a great series.

I've actually gotten a lot of comments from Brits and Aussies going 'why bother explaining?' but it is more unusual over here. I am unfamiliar with a wombat on the Britannia. Care to elaborate?

Plus, I just love the word 'wombat.'

Anonymous said...

Wombat is indeed an awesome word. I've been known to call my sister a Dyspeptic Wombat when she bugs me (which is totally justified, since she calls me a Toad of Many Warts).