Monday, June 30, 2008

Pet the Wolves!

If you happen to read my blog with any regularity (and I apologize if you do), you may remember that a couple months ago, I announced I had grown tired of WoW and was going to stop playing.

Well, I’m back.

Basically, I was bored and needed something to play. FreeCell, as much as I love it, was not doing it for me. So, I dusted off my Blood Elf Paladin and hit the road with a vengeance. Well, as much vengeance as a Protection Pally can (Fights take forever, as I don’t do much damage, but on the plus side, I’m nigh unkillable).

So, in my travels through the lands of Azeroth, I came upon a wounded Tauren warrior who asked me to aid him. I obviously said ‘yes,’ as I’m a virtuous paladin (and I needed the xp). He then spun a tale about diseased wolves and asked me to murder a bunch of them in order to ‘help’ them.

Which brings me to the subject of the blog: Why is it that whenever ‘nature is out of balance’ or ‘the wildlife is stricken with some disease’ the answer is to slaughter double-digits worth of animals?

“The animals of this region have been infected with a terrible disease! Please, oh mighty adventurer, help us heal the land!”

“Of course! Would you like me to deliver medicine, inoculate some of the animals, or even hunt down those responsible?”

“Ummmm, no. Just go kill 20 Limping Wolves, 10 Suspicious Badgers, 7 Myopic Snakes, and 27 Enraged Meerkats.”

“. . . . why?”

“’Cause I asked you too?”

“But will that actually solve the problem?”

“Well, no.”

“Are you even a Druid?”

“I took a correspondence course. Plus, I really, really hate animals.”

I realize that ‘kill X of Y’ is an easy quest and it works wonderfully in terms of an MMO. However, I would really like to see a quest where I got to be nice to the wildlife (as vicious as it is). I want a quest where I need to deliver picnic baskets to bears or ‘Pet 20 Wolves’ rather than just maiming and killing them all the time. It would, at least, be a nice change of pace.

Granted, in return I’d like them to stop attacking me all the time, but there you go.

Cheers,
-Jason

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

silly, silly pally, you kill and maim them to get them away from the non-infected animals. But then, you're a blood elf so you're evil. What do you care? You take joy in maiming things that want to kill you. Ain't no one meaner than a BE pally (at least on my server).

:D

K said...

Dude, just roll a draenei, they're all about trying to help the land and cure those who were injured or mutated by their landing. All their starting quests are all "vaccinate these guys" and "heal these dudes", it's crazy!

Then again, they eventually see the light and figure it's easier to cull the diseased rather than try to fix them. Azeroth'll do that to anyone.

... of course, then you'd be playing an Ally, sooooo... never mind. :D

Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of this druid only quest:

Curing the Sick
Use the Curative Animal Salve on 10 Sickly Gazelles that are located throughout the northern part of the Barrens; doing so should cure them. Sickly Gazelles have been reported north of the east-west road that runs through the Crossroads.

Sickly Gazelle cured (10)
Provided Item:
Curative Animal Salve

The alliance get to heal green deer. Ironically one of the comments on wowhead was:

"A little disturbing, but you can do this to finish the quest faster:
-Cast entangling roots on the sickly animal
-Use the Curative Animal Salve before the damage from the roots kills it
-Wait for the animal to die, you'll get double credit
This way, you only have to look for 5 of them"

:( /pat deer

Jason Janicki said...

I'm not evil, I just rolled that way :)

I did, a long time ago, roll a draenei, but I got bored. Plus it's really hard to leave your side when you've got high level tradeskillers on your other toons.

I rolled Horde as thats where all my friends were :)

A clever solution indeed! Wonder if the devs thought of that :)

Anonymous said...

IRL, the way to cure a sick herd of animals is to cull the diseased ones. Only when the disease is widespread enough among a population that won't cooperate with your efforts to diagnosis it ("Mr. Gazelle, can I schedule you for a 10am visit with the warden?") it's generally more effective to just kill a certain proportion of the total herd to contain the spread of the disease.

Here in Wisconsin, for example, the effort to stop the spread of chronic wasting disease meant killing nearly all the deer in the southwest corner of the state and creating longer hunting seasons in most of the rest of the state. I don't know how effective it was, but that was the DNR edict, supposedly based on good science.

Roca said...

You've got to try Okami, which I believe is available on several platforms including Wii (mine is PS2).

You play a sun-god in the form of a wolf, and there's plenty of demon-slashing fun, but then there's my favorite part...Rid the land of evil, restore vegetation and wildlife and feed the animals for points. Literally. You can walk up to a family of deer, and while you can choose to "bite" them if you want, give them the correct food (choose from herbs, fish, meat, or seeds) and then little hearts come out of them and they give you points. Possibly my favorite game of all time (next to the Onimusha series).

Jason Janicki said...

Huh, I had no idea they actually did that. I guess WoW is a touch more 'realistic' than I thought. Thanks for the info!

Sounds cool, Meredith, I'll definately have to try Okami :)

Jason Janicki said...

or bears or Grimtotem or whatever happens to be irritating you at the moment :)