Monday, June 16, 2008

Field Marshall von Vacuum: Part 1

Regular readers may recall that on several occasions, I have discussed my disdain for cleaning my apartment and my problems with vacuuming in particular. Namely, that my old vacuum was incapable of actually removing things from my carpet and was basically a device for scaring my cat and leaving those nifty lines on the floor.

I therefore decided to purchase a new vacuum and visited the local vacuummonger to do so.

Note: ‘monger’ basically means ‘seller of,’ as in ‘fishmonger,’ ‘ironmonger,’ ‘mangamonger,’ or ‘those-things-that-you-use-to-stick-other-things-to-the-ceilingmonger.’

Anyhow, I walked into the local vacuummongery and was greeted by a nice lady. This is an actual transcript of the conversation.

Nice Lady: Hi, can I help you?

Me: I need something that sucks. A lot.

Nice Lady: Do you need to vacuum anything in particular? Like rugs or pet hair?

Me: Yeah. I definitely need it to pick up cat hair. And Captain Crunch.

Nice Lady: Well we have this model (indicated a purple vacuum). It’s designed specifically for pet hair and can probably handle Captain Crunch.

She did this all with a straight face and didn’t call the police or anything, which is why I refer to her as ‘Nice Lady.’ She showed me several models and let me test a few on the ‘pet hair simulator,’ which was a gauzy fabric designed to mimic pet hair. I offered to bring her in a garbage bag full of real cat hair, but she declined, oddly enough.

Tomorrow: Battle is joined. My new vacuum versus my apartment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If that doesn't work, try one of the new Dyson models. They really suck. A lot. Dog hair and bird feathers/dander, gone in a golden moment. Enjoy.

Unknown said...

*chuckle* Purple sounds like it IT one of the Dyson models. I know I own one in purple-with lots of fur-babies at my house (plus threads, broken needles and such) I need it!

Jason Janicki said...

I believe it was a Dyson. It was a bit out of my price range, though :(

Unknown said...

*lol* I hear you on the price range concept-my niece works for one of the chain stores, so I went through her to utilize the discount. :P Otherwise I wouldn't have mine!

Jason Janicki said...

Yeah, these things are not cheap. It's always good to have friends (or relatives) in places both high and low :)