Thursday, August 9, 2007

Houdini - Part 1

This is a true story. It is full of sheep, danger, and rocket ships. Well, actually, there is only one sheep and no actual danger, but there are rocket ships.

When I was 10, my sister (14) was into Future Farmers of America (FFA). She, for reasons unknown, decided to get a sheep to raise for the fair. Since we lived in the country this was not a big deal. A suitable enclosure was constructed, a sheep procured, and life went on as usual.

Except that the sheep kept escaping. It usually only wandered over to where we kept the hay and started eating, so we would just fix the pen and reinter the sheep. This is how the sheep became known as Houdini.

Personally, I had a great deal of respect for Houdini. I assumed he knew that he was eventually going to be eaten and was doing his best to flee to the promised land, where hay was flowed like water and the ewes were both hot and numerous.

However, at roughly dawn one spring morning, I was woken up by my mom who informed me and my two older brothers that Houdini had once again vanished. We had to get up, get dressed, and go out and look for the animal.

I happened to be wearing rocket ship pajamas. The top had numerous small rocket ships all over, with one large one on the chest. It was blue and had flames emitting from it, which were propelling it towards my left armpit. I did not bother to change and just shrugged into some pants and shoes and threw on a down jacket and went outside.

Tomorrow: Part 2

No comments: