Thursday, October 29, 2009

Almost Halloween!

If you've been paying any attention to anything lately, you'd notice that it's almost Halloween again. This means that not only are the stores loaded with candy, they're also starting to put out their Christmas decorations.

I kid you not.

Last night, whilst grabbing a few odds and ends (a shovel, flashlight, a box of garbage bags, a surgical mask, and some rubber gloves - don't ask) at Fred Meyer (a local, Target-esque store), I went by the Halloween display.

And there, just at the edge, were a bunch of artificial Christmas trees with ornaments and all the trimmings. Honestly, I could care less, but at least let Thanksgiving get out of the way before putting up Christmas decorations. It's just . . . rude.

In other news, we're having a decorating contest at work. The company is divided up into three sections and whichever section is judged to be the best gets a special prize (of unknown nature). We've spent about four hours decorating our section, so I'm fairly confident of winning. Of course, if we don't win, there will be bloody, bloody vengeance.

Anyway, please have a safe Halloween and come back next Monday for a new episode of Art the Wanderer and the usual bloggy goodness the rest of the week.

Cheers,
-Jason

5 comments:

Citarra said...

I was shopping at BonTon last week when I noticed the fake trees and decorated hanging wreaths everywhere. Not even a whisper of Halloween, much less Thanksgiving.

Astrus said...

On this side of the ocean - Germany that is - it feels like we're going straight from easter to christmas. At least judging from the decoration in stores. They've already started selling painted eggs all year a while ago, calling them breakfast eggs or something similar.
I swear, eventually they'll just introduce the XmasBunny™ and do away with changing whatever useless-yet-fitting-the-season plastic decoration they have on display.

It's late, I hope I managed to make any sense. It's hard enough to try and think in only one or two directions at a time, translating makes things pretty difficult. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll try to hunt down my bed...

Jason Janicki said...

That's surprising, Citarra. I realize Christmas is the big one, but Halloween has gotten pretty popular (and people spend money on it).

You see, Astrus, they can't introduce the XmasBunny, as that would only be ONE holiday. What they really want is a gift-giving holiday at least once a month. I'm sure there are marketers hard at work trying to figure out a reason to hand out presents in August :)

Huh, I may blog about that :)

David Rowan said...

They only start at Hallow'een your side of the pond? Here it's not all that incongrous for them to start in flamin' september. I beleive it's now an established british institution that newspaper columnists are allowed to complain verbosely about this until exactly december 1st

Jason Janicki said...

In a few years, they'll start in August. At some point in the (not so far) future, they'll just leave the decorations up all year 'round.