Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Top 10-ish: Part 2

As several Alert Readers have pointed out (where ‘several’ is less than 2), my mom was probably not born in 2008. This is true. I will not say what year she was born in, but she’s 29 now. Several of you may realize that I was thus born about ten years before she was, but math was never my strong suit.

#6 Sony
In this time of rising unemployment, I’m damned thankful I not only have a job, but get to do something I love.

#5 The End of the Political Season
Like many Americans, I was becoming increasingly tired of the 2008 Presidential Election. I had gotten to the point where I would have happily voted for a lisping penguin if he had promised to shoot anyone who made a commercial that contained a gently waving flag. Unless, of course, the commercial was for an actual flag company, which would have been all right. Politics aside, voting aside, I’m just so glad I don’t have to see another political commercial or get another recorded message on my answering machine for about another four years.

Though, given the early start of the last election, I half expect them to start now for 2012.

#4 That Guy
We had a very harsh snowfall a couple weeks ago, which pretty much shut the Puget Sound area down. Midwesterners may laugh at our paltry 1-2 feet of snow, but it might as well have been Godzilla. We were completely immobile.

I ended up taking a couple walks through the snow to the local grocery store, as I didn’t dare drive my truck on the ice. One day, I was trudging along with a couple bags full of groceries and a car pulled up next to me.

“Hey,” said the guy, “you need a ride?”

“No,” I replied. “I only have about a hundred yards left, but thanks.”

“No problem,” he said. “Merry Christmas!”

“Merry Christmas!” I called back, as he pulled away.

So, thanks, nameless guy in a green Forester, for offering a ride to a complete stranger. Granted, it would have been a touch nicer if you’d have been a super model, but I won’t complain.

Tomorrow: The Conclusion

No comments: