Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Signs: Part 2

The other sign occurred in Texas, at the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport (which, as far as airports go, was quite lovely). I needed to use the bathroom, as occasionally happens, and noticed a red and white sign near the door. It was a red circle with a white twister on it and the words ‘Severe Weather Area.’

I happened past three bathrooms and the sign was posted at each one. I did not see it anywhere else in the entire airport (or in the tiny bit of the rest of the state I saw).

This, of course, raises the question: what sort of natural disasters occur in a Texas airport bathroom that they felt a need to post a sign warning people about it? Do hurricanes occur in the bathrooms on a regular basis? Floods? Stampedes? Plagues of locusts? Hordes of Leprechauns?

Part of me really, really wanted to come tearing out of the men’s room and yell ‘Twister!’ before running off screaming. It would have been hysterical (to me, at least), but I would probably have been quickly subdued by several hundreds of pounds of TSA agent. Repeatedly.

Cheers,
-Jason

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get the feeling you were jesting.. but I think the sings meant it's where to go in the event of severe weather. :)

Sara said...

It is where you go in case of sever weather. I live in Texas, and those signs are in public buildings. Sometimes they're bathrooms, sometimes they're hallways. It's always in the middle of the building where there aren't any windows. It's how you survive a tornado.
If your in your house, the bathroom is always in the middle, and that's where you shove 7 people and three pets with lots of blankets (for protection from falling items) It gets hot.

Jason Janicki said...

Yeah, I eventually figured that out, but I admit to being stumped about it for a while. It just seemed like they could have labelled the sign a bit better. Maybe "Tornado Shelter?"

I do jest, sometimes :)

Gillsing said...

Aww, and here I thought it was a polite way of warning people of the other type of 'wind', the one that is connected to bathrooms and posteriors.

Jason Janicki said...

Flooding would be bad too :)