Thursday, November 13, 2008

Same Old Stories

There comes a time in every relationship when you realize that you’ve heard all the other person’s stories. This happened to me the other day with Leigh. We were having lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant (Peking in Redmond) and we our conversation pretty much went like this.

Me: “Oh, I talked to my buddy Bob yesterday. He was the one who did that thing with the goat-“

Leigh: “Oh yeah, and the plastic army men!”

Me: “Right! It was when-“

Leigh: “You were throwing the discus at the swimsuit competition!”

Me: “Yeah. Guess you heard that one before?”

Leigh: “You tell that one every other week.”

Me: “I do?”

Leigh: “Yep. Though that reminds me of the story where-“

Me: “The bees, the Ford Focus, the three pounds of cheese, and the guy with the wig.”

Leigh: “ . . . yes.”

Long pause.

Me: “I guess we’ve pretty much tapped the conversation supply. Our Small Talk Waterloo, as it were.”

Leigh: “You said that last week.”

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Leigh and I have known each other since college and frankly, it’s not like we’re international spies, where we’re having death-defying adventures every week (well, I am, but it’s a secret). We basically move in the same circles, share the same friends, and pretty much do everything but trade recipes. It says something I think, that we still enjoy hanging out, even though we don’t necessarily have anything new to say.

Though, I swear if he tells that story about whacking that mime with a ham hock again, I’m gonna kill him . . .

Cheers,
-Jason

No comments: