Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Things That Scare Me: Part 1

When I was very small, I used to be afraid of the hallway to my bedroom. It was dark and potentially full of things. I used to run through it to minimize the danger. I knew, intellectually, that there probably was not a monster in there. It was a hallway, there was not a lot of room for something to hide and lunge at me. On the other hand, though, why take chances?

Eventually I realized there were no monsters in the hallway. This coincided with me discovering the light switch. It was a bittersweet revelation, as I left for college shortly after that, but I digress.

Now as a grownup who has mastered the light switch and has access to both edged and blunt weapons (just in case), I am no longer troubled by monsters in dark places. My anxieties have taken on much darker, more sinister forms.

The Stock Market
I do not know what this is, but it troubles me. Oh, I know what it is: its a big place where people work and somehow numbers are involved. That is the problem. I do not know what the numbers mean. Up seems to be good. Down seems to be bad. Yet, I live in fear that somehow the numbers will go sideways and for reasons I do not understand, I will end up living with my mother and selling my comic book collection to make ends meet.

Note to my Mother: No Mom, I would love to live with you. It would be spiffy. Really. But not right now. I . . . ummm . . . have a date. Yes, with a girl. No, she is not plastic. Sorry, gotta go. Blogging.

Tomorrow: Part II – Things that go bump in the night. Into my car. Raising my insurance.

2 comments:

Spider said...

LOL... Fear of the unknown. Not a uniquely human trait. But one that tends to keep us alive, if a bit bored. I now find the unknown intriguing, and explore it with some caution here, some there, and some thrown to the wind. Monsters beware. I hunt you now. :D

Jason Janicki said...

Just remember. When you gaze into the darkness, sometimes the darkness gazes back. And then it can totally steal you email password and send naked pictures to politicians.

Or so I've heard.