Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Adventures of Leigh and Jason: Part 3

Jason whipped of his glasses as his eyes adjusted to the dark store, and then put them back on because they were prescription. “What’s up?”

“Guy got robbed,” Leigh said absently, without looking up from his pad.

“Huh.” Jason looked around. He nudged an overturned rack with his toe and it made a ‘moo’ sound. “Got everything but the air freshener and the Mounds, eh?”

“Yes,” said the owner. “Your friend is doing a sketch, but I don’t think we need a writer.”

Jason shrugged. “Suit yourself.”

A team of mice moved across the floor. They were dragging a trebuchet. No one noticed.

“Y’know said Leigh. “He’s been doing kung-fu for forever. He could probably beat the snot out of them.”

“Really?” said the owner. “Maybe you could help me out after the sketch is done?”

“Depends,” said Jason. “Are they ninjas?”

The owner considered this. “I don’t think so.”

“Well, I only really fight ninjas.” Jason explained. “I get +3 against ‘em. They’re my ‘preferred enemy.’”

“Why?”

“A ninja pantsed him in high school,” Leigh chimed in.

Jason turned to his friend. “Must you tell everyone?”

Leigh nodded. “I must.” He rose and held out his pad. “Sketch’s done.”

The owner took and looked down. Then looked up again. And then looked down. After a few more volleys, he cleared his throat. “I don’t mean to complain, but this is a picture of a scantily clad woman-“

“Efl,” Leigh interrupted.

“Elf,” continued the owner. “With a spear.”

“I started on your description, but it was boring so I did the elf instead.”

Jason leaned over to get a look at the pad. “Nice.”

“Thanks.”

“Ummm, thanks?” said the owner.

“No thanks are necessary,” said Leigh, mainly so he could say 'thanks' too.

“We’re nerds,” added Jason. “It’s what we do.”

The duo waited for a moment, glancing around at the wrecked convenience store. “So,” said Leigh finally. “Could we get twenty on pump #2?” He held out a bill.

The owner took it without a word and punched something into the pad. “All set.”

A few minutes later, the silver Honda pulled out of the convenience store. The banjo continued its mournful song, until the Honda was out of sight.

Cheers,
-Jason

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna hear more about the trebuchet toting mice. And who or what was playing the banjo?

Jason Janicki said...

Well, let's just say there was a cat that had seriously underestimated his prey.

I hadn't really thought about who or what was playing a banjo, I just loved the idea of unseen musicians shooting one another. I'll come up with something, though, maybe for a future blog.

Anonymous said...

"unseen musicians shooting one another"
I can see it now... well, hear it.

A banjo starts plaing... then a guitar... kinda like in 'Deliverence'... One, then the other, back and forth... Then, a pistol shot, followed by a shotgun, and no more music...
:P