Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sports

I do not watch sports. I guess I am missing that particular gene or something, as I have never been interested enough in a sport to actually spend time watching it. I will play sports (badly) if opportunity arises, but watching other people play them is sheer boredom. If I have to choose between watching sports and going to the dentist, the dentist wins. Granted I cry when I go to the dentist and therefore get candy, but there you go.

However, in a spirit of fairness and desperately needing something to blog about, I decided to give sports a try. Obviously, some of them are not on right now, but do not worry, I will make it up anyway.

First up: Baseball

When I was but a wee lad of eight or nine, my dad had a friend who had season tickets to the Giants. This friend, may his name forever be cursed, gave my dad a bunch of tickets for double headers. Therefore, on several sunny summer Saturdays, I was driven two hours to San Francisco to watch about four hours of baseball, and then be driven two hours back.

I was initially excited, as baseball had been described as something wonderful, sort of like if Santa were a hot blonde in a bikini. I sat down in my hard, plastic seat, clutching my mitt, and wondering what the smell was. And waited. Nothing happened. Ever. In the six pro baseball games I watched, I never saw a home-run. I am not kidding.

Next: More Baseball


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the same experience. A friend invited me to a professional game and it was the most uninteresting event on the planet. The funny (and sad) thing to accompany the boredom was the sun was above my right shoulder most of the day, so I had a roasting sunburn from the top of my thighs to my knees. That looked WEIRD. Not to mention it was radiating heat for about a week. Ouch.

Jason Janicki said...

Ow. Boredom and pain at the same time.

Anonymous said...

My dad used to be a part of a softball team, and my mom and I would go watch dear old Dad play.

I usually futzed (real word, I'm pretty sure) around in the dirt, playing with a metal thing...probably a toy car or miniature nuclear explosive.

Jason Janicki said...

You're lucky, j. alexander, my mother never let me have nuclear weapons.