Saturday, May 5, 2007

Another Spider-Man 3 review! No spoilers!

So, my wife Laura and I went to see Spider-Man 3 last night, and since I now have a website with a blog, I figure I am obligated to tell the world my opinion. I kind of view this as a right of internet passage. I dont want to give out spoilers because it is still opening week, so I cant get into specifics on exactly how I felt about specific scenes or plot points but I will say that we very much enjoyed the ride. Laura and I go to fewer and fewer opening weeks nowadays because of crowded theaters, squirming kids, teens playing text tag with cell phones. You know the drill. Not to mention Netflicks has us spoiled at this point. Basically nowadays when I do go out to a movie I ask myself some simple questions.

Q: Did this film have things in it I didnt like so much?
A: Of course it did.
Q: Did it have stuff I did like?
A: Yup.
Q: Was the stuff I liked enough to make me forget or ignore the stuff I didnt like?
A: Yup.
Yay! That means I liked it!

Im a long time comics fan. If it werent for comics I never would have learned how to read. The first comic I ever bought and paid for by myself was Marvel Team-Up Starring Spider-Man issue 24 with Brother Voodoo back in 1974. Ive also been a fan of Sam Raimi since I first saw Evil Dead 2 (which I saw before the original). Ive learned over the years to make lots of allowances for theatrical releases not being quite what I remember in my comics, and I am a happier movie viewer as a result. Ive worked in computer games now for over 12 years, and although life in games isnt quite the same as in the movie industry Ive seen how hard it can be to deal with licensed titles, and how sacrifices get made for the sake of story and medium,.. yadda, yadda, yadda. Ive given up arguing about how easy or hard it is to capture a comic in movie or any other form. Now I just put on my +2 hat of “Its just a movie, not your childhood” and try to enjoy them each for what they are. I think Sam Raimi has done a fair job translating Spidey to the screen so far. Still I have to admit I was pretty scared going in that this film would suffer from too many villains and too many plot points, as (in my humble opinion) many other superhero franchises have in the past. I was somewhat relieved at how these things were handled in Spider-Man 3. Again, I wont tell folks how things were handled because the web is filled with enough spoilers already.

To me it was definitely worth the watching. Go see it.


Leigh

2 comments:

Chantal said...

Just so you know, it's a "rite" of passage.

Leigh Kellogg said...

Wright, write, right rite.
Thanks. See that's the problem with getting a BA in anthropology. You can graduate without learning to spell. :)