Thursday, May 10, 2007

All Things Venomous Part 4

And then there is India. The first thing I think of when I think of India is COBRA. I do not mean the silly, amazingly ineffectual, yet possessing staggering wealth, manpower, and resources GI Joe villains, but real, honest-to-goodness, bite-you-in-the-kneecap, snakes.

I just do not get Cobra (the villains, not the snakes). How did they amass such wealth and power when they are continually defeated by three or four members (tops) of GI Joe? They have an army large enough to take on NATO, yet cannot use the restroom with out having to parachute out when it blows up. Seriously.

Anyway, cobras (the snakes, not the villains). The only thing I know about cobras comes from Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, wherein the hero, a mongoose named Rikki-Tikki defeats the evil cobras Nag and Nagaina. I will admit this is a highly biased viewpoint and that not all cobras are evil. I am sure most cobras are perfectly nice once you get to know them and that Nag and Nagaina are not representative of their species. Nag and Nagaina are obviously the Manson family of the breed (Charles, not Marilyn).

Some cobras spit venom. I assume these are juveniles, who like to hang out in front of 7-11s and try to get older snakes to buy them beer. Maybe not. So, cobras. Big snakes. Hoods. Venomous. Spitting. Moving on.

Next: Snakes on the Internet!

2 comments:

Chantal said...

Ah, Rikki Tikki Tavi. I remember that story from my grade 7 English class. It was great.

Jason Janicki said...

I had forgotten how much I loved that cartoon when I was a kid until I looked it up for the blog.

Rikki-Tikki is right up there with Frodo, Luke, and Sam Vimes in my pantheon of personal heroes.