Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Emerald City Comicon 2011: After-Action Report

ECC began with a bang, as the first thing I did upon reaching our booth was knock over a chair. This set a general precedent, as I continually knocked down displays, backdrops, and tripped on boxes. Eventually, Leigh and my brother Rick simply removed anything within arm’s reach that could be knocked over. Unfortunately, they could not me-proof the entire convention, though a general warning was issued over the loudspeakers.

I kid.

About the loudspeakers.

So, yes. ECC was a great success for Wayfarer’s Moon. It featured the introduction of our brand-new TRADE PAPERBACK which features the first six issues, an illustrated short story, six pages of guest art, some race descriptions, and maps of the world of Lachryn. It is, I can assure you, 160 pages of pure, Wayfarer’s Moon goodness.
It is not yet available online, but don’t worry, I will announce when our publisher, Creator’s Edge Press, gets it set up.

We had a great time as usual. A few of our regulars, including Diane our Superfan, Ken (the first person to ever buy an issue of Wayfarer’s Moon who was not a friend or relative), and Blue Sun, a regular blog reader, all showed up. We made a lot of new friends, fought evil, and drank a lot of water.

NOTE: There’s something about big convention centers that dry me out like a llama in a shoe store (I have no idea what this means). Despite guzzling water the entire time, my lips were so dry that I could have sanded a deck with them. This prompted my brother to invite me to his house, as his deck needs refinishing. I declined.

Our usual gang of con-buddies were there as well. In no particular order:

Jason Metcalf, artist extraordinaire

Randy Kintz, another great artist

Jason Martin of Super Real Graphics

Michael Oeming of Mice Templars and other projects

Mike Maihack of Cleopatra in Space
Beth and Maria of Famine Lands, among other things

Drew of Pokeweed had the great misfortune of sitting next to us

Chuck, Bile, Travis and the rest of the gang from Creator’s Edge Press

Cody Vrosh and his lovely wife Sheatiel Sarao from BinaryWinter

A new friend, Jeff from Jefbot

And last, but not least, Cari from Toilet Genie, who was kind enough to give me some water after I polished off the entire case I brought with me

All in all, it was a great, yet exhausting time. Special thanks go out to my brother Rick, who left sunny California to help out his little brother.

Cheers,
-Jason

4 comments:

Jonnalyhn Wolfcat Hall said...

Since I wasn't able to make it to ECCC after all, I am watching for when your trade paperback is available online.

Jason Janicki said...

Cool! We'll put up a big announcement once it's up. And then we'll keep continually point out that the trade is available until you get sick of hearing about it ;)

jefbot said...

was great meeting you and Leigh at ECCC, Jason, and happy to now be designated as "con-buddy"! hope to see you at another convention sometime soon.

also: i started the Wayfarer's Moon trade and am loving it. awesome stuff! :D

Jason Janicki said...

Thanks, Jeff! Hope to see you at more cons!