Monday, September 10, 2007

THWAP!

It is true. One of the greatest cinematic heroes of all time is making a comeback.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

I freely admit I love the movies, even the rather pedestrian Temple of Doom. I love the car chases, the gun fights, and the booby traps.

I especially love the fist fights and the fact that when somebody gets punched, there is a THWAP! that is louder than a gunshot.

This does not actually happen. I train in martial arts and punch people and get punched on a regular basis. In fact, last Saturday, I got bludgeoned once and nearly stabbed, but that is neither here nor there. The point is that there are never any really cool sound-effects.

Obviously, Indiana Jones is not real life. It is better, which is why we queue up and pay 10-bucks a pop to watch it.

Memorial Day, 2008. I will be there.

Cheers,
-Jason

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely a "must see" movie. And I never thought the Temple of Doom was worse than the other ones. It was certainly different though. Not based on Christian mythology, and therefore less 'serious', but still just as good.

Jason Janicki said...

The story for ToD just never felt as 'solid' to me. It seemed contrived, the way Indy happens upon this village that just happens to be under the power of a madman, yadda yadda yadda.

In retrospect, the movie seemed to be trying to define Indy as a 'hero,' ie, someone who is destined to fight the forces of evil, in a non-pantheonistic sort of way. Sort of like Moorcock's Eternal Hero idea. It just doesn't quite pull it off for me.

I wish they would have taken more time with the Indian mythos and really develop what the story meant in a larger perspective.

Anyway, I still enjoy ToD, it just doesn't fit together quite as neatly as the other movies.