Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Scourge of Man: Part 2

I did it.

Despite the warnings, the prophecies, and the dire words of the pizza delivery man, I unsealed that which should not be opened. I’m speaking, of course, of my spare room.

It was kind of a let-down. There was no tidal wave of blood or the manic chanting of one hundred and ninety-nine inhuman mouths. Admittedly, the inside-out goat was pretty cool, but otherwise, nada.

Mostly, it was just a lot of boxes. Stacks and stacks of boxes. Think of the scene from the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc where the Arc gets put away in the massive warehouse. My spare room looks like that only much smaller, the boxes are cardboard, and there are old computer parts strewn haphazardly around.

So, I started going through the boxes and discovered that most of the ones on top were empty, which is nice because now I can put other things in them. The rest of the boxes contained either books, comic books, video games, or some of my old toys that I refuse to throw away because I insist that they may be valuable, when in fact, I just want to keep them.

NOTE: While many of my old toys may very well be junk, I do have some cool things like the Enterprise bridge set for the Star Trek Meigo (sp?) doll set from the ‘70s, a really old GI Joe (with uniforms and footlocker box), and the pride of my youth, my Great Mazinga, still in the original box with all of his swords, darts, and spaceship head intact. I also have a blue plastic bat which I once used to ambush my older brothers. In all fairness, they tried to ambush me first.

I spent the better part of a day going through my spare room, checking boxes, emptying ones I could use and restacking the remainder for better structural support. Actually, that’s pretty much a lie. I did spend a day going through my spare room, but that’s because I got distracted reading and/or playing with the various things I found in there.

This, unfortunately, has been a continuous theme in my current moving attempt. I keep finding neat stuff that I haven’t seen in years. This necessitates that I then immediately amuse myself with what I’ve just found, occasionally to the tune of an hour or so per item. At this rate, I calculate that it will take me at least three months to go through my spare room, which is problematic as I have to move in two weeks.

I have also found a few things that I didn’t know I had. I also don’t know why I have them. For example, I found a mannequin arm and what I think is a baboon skull. I don’t recall acquiring either of those at any point in my life. Also, the baboon skull screams when I pick it up.

I’m pretty sure I would recall that particular purchase.

Cheers,
-Jason

10 comments:

Liedt said...

Great finds there. This means the comic is coming back soon, right?

Kris said...

Sounds like you've got a leak in the eldritch horror blood pipes. Those are standard after all.

As for the mouths, I imagine they got bored waiting and went on to other things. It's possible they did a bit of vandalism before that, which would explain the goat and the busted pipes, but I think the embarrassment and strange looks they got when you opened the door and they were compelled to stop where they were and manically chant was probably punishment enough.

Jason Janicki said...

I can't give you a date for certain, Liedt, but we are working on new pages. I realize it's frustrating to keep hearing 'soon,' but that's the best I can do for right now :)

Yeah, the 'ol eldritch horror pipes. The problem is that the eldritch plumbers cost an arm and a leg (and often a soul), which is why I just tend to let them go :)

Anonymous said...

I seriously think you should offer the vacation picture as a print for purchase.

And maybe one where the girls are turned over, as asked for by others in the previous post. :)

Jason Janicki said...

I think that's a great idea, anon :) We might have to get Haith in there too . ..

Anonymous said...

*Mego dolls are highly collectible and, if your bridge set is still in it's original box and is complete,you should check out what they're going for on eBay. ;) I think you'd fetch a pretty penny for it if you decided to sell.

Antonious said...

Those plumbers may cost an arm and a leg....but who says they have to be yours? Muahahahaha.

Jason Janicki said...

Unfortunately, I don't have the original box for my bridge set. I have all the parts, just not the box. Plus, I still play with it ;)

Good point!

Silver said...

I always love reading these. Makes me feel so much better about the state of my place.

Jason Janicki said...

Glad to help, Silver ;)